Last week was stressful for me and I found myself craving really sugary foods. I knew that I was craving chocolate and other sweets all week because of my increased stress levels.
Sometimes, we feel ashamed of our cravings and think we are craving certain foods because we have no willpower. When we have cravings, it does not necessarily mean we have zero willpower. It simply means that our bodies are out of balance. Below are the most common reasons for cravings so that you can better understand what your body is trying to tell you.
- We could be craving certain foods because we are feeling dissatisfied in one of our primary food sources. Check to make sure you are feeling good about all of your primary food sources: spirituality, creativity, finances, career, education, health, physical activity, home cooking, home environment, relationships, social life, and joy. Dissatisfaction in any of these areas can lead to emotional eating.
- If you are not drinking enough water, your body may be dehydrated. When your body is in dehydration mode, it can manifest hunger signals. Make sure you are drinking about half of your body weight in ounces (more if you are doing physical activity on any given day).
Lack of Nutrients
- Your body will produce odd cravings if you are lacking in nutrients. In order to avoid craving foods due to a lack of nutrients, take a daily multivitamin and mineral supplement.
- Women experience cravings during menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause due to fluctuating testosterone and estrogen levels. Women can better balance their hormones during their time of the month by eating healthy fats such as avocados, coconut oil, and nuts and also by making sure they are allowing their body to rest more than normal.
- Certain foods are considered Yin foods while others are considered Yang foods. Yin foods are mainly raw, light foods. Yang foods are cooked, heavier foods. Make sure your meals are well balanced with Yin and Yang foods so that your body does not crave one extreme or the other.
Next time you have cravings, don't beat yourself up. Write down these top five reasons why your body is craving certain foods and try to figure out what your body is trying to tell you.
With love and peace,